25 Things to Do right now when you Visit Palm Beach!
in honor of Visit Palm Beach’s 25th Year!
Visit Palm Beach is turning 25 this year!
Can you believe it!?
Against one of the most difficult backdrops that small businesses in this county have ever seen, Visit Palm Beach – the leading purveyor of tours and excursions in the Palm Beaches – has not only survived, but thrived, and is ready to celebrate its 25th anniversary with you, our cherished guests, this year!
It seems like only yesterday that we arrived on the scene with little more than a passion for the Palm Beaches and all the interesting things one can see or do here. And when we faced our biggest challenge to date last year, when the outlook looked bleak for tourism and gathering in general, we remained full steam forward, and were positioned to help people do what they were striving for – to get outside and recreate in a safe, fresh air and sunshine manner!
To further illustrate our commitment to the region and to our calling card of “This is Where the Fun Begins,” against this backdrop we were putting the finishing touches on what has since become our new home base, the Visit Palm Beach Visitor Information & Adventure Center located in the heart of where it all began 25 years ago, in beautiful Downtown West Palm Beach! While the Adventure Center had a somewhat low key, soft opening in March, we are officially ready to invite you to come down to visit us at the corner of S. Olive Avenue and Datura Street to see what we are all about and the blend of old and new excursion offerings that are on our menu as we set sail into our next quarter century!
And since now, as much as ever, we know you are yearning for learning about the great places and spaces where you can get out and enjoy the great outdoors, we thought we’d kick off our first blog post with the Top 25 (safe and socially distanced) FUN things you can do right now when you Visit Palm Beach!
1. Cruise off into the Sunset, and more! While the Sunset Cruise may be our signature cruise excursion, you may not know that Visit Palm Beach’s crownship, the 50’ Catamaran, ‘Hakuna Matata’ offers a number of additional cruises such as the narrated Sightseeing Cruise, Sunday Mimosa Brunch Cruise, Flamingle Happy Hour Cruise, and the Moonlight Cruise; along with extra fun-packed half-day specialty cruises like the “Floatilla Cruise” and an “Ultimate Family Fun Adventure Cruise”. You don’t want to miss checking these cruises out because what can be better than spending time out gliding along the gorgeous waters of the Palm Beaches!
2. Jump on a Wave Runner – Visit Palm Beach’s personal watercraft (aka Jet Skis) are returning June 2021 with a brand new fleet of Yamaha VX 110 Deluxe 2-seater Wave Runners! If an exhilarating fun ride in Lake Worth Lagoon is what you are looking for, while also being able tour the Palm Beaches from one of the best seats on the waterways, you won’t want to miss experiencing being your own captain on a Visit Palm Beach Wave Runner ride! Both Jet Ski rentals, and guided personal watercraft tours, will again be conveniently available right from Downtown West Palm Beach’s Center Dock!
3. Paddle into Paradise – If a more tranquil ride is more your speed, another one of the best ways to explore the waterways of the Palm Beaches is by paddling on them! In addition to Visit Palm Beach’s rental offerings of our meticulously maintained paddle boards and kayaks, we also offer fully guided excursions such our Mangroves & Mansions Paddle Tour and our Peanut Island Kayak Tour (which also includes an option for a very popular add-on of our Peanut Island Snorkeling Adventure (and yes! this is the spot that Yahoo Travel named one of the Best Snorkeling Spots in the Country)! Plus with our renowned, eco-tourism certified paddle guides leading the way, you’ll get an expert’s take on the fish and wildlife surrounding you. These trips can be customized to ideally fit any level of paddlers, from first time novices to the most advanced of paddlers.
4. Snorkel the Palm Beaches underwater world – We don’t want to miss mentioning again that Yahoo Travel picked the Peanut Island/Blue Heron Bridge area as one of the top snorkeling spots in the country, and for very good reason! Palm Beach’s fabulous snorkeling opportunities are a direct result of our proximity to the Gulf Stream, which comes closest to the U.S. mainland right at the Lake Worth Inlet. Twice a day, with the incoming tide, these warm, clear Gulf Stream waters envelop Peanut Island, giving snorkelers amazing clarity and a variety of sea life!. The guides on our numerous snorkeling expeditions are experts on knowing the ideal timing for the best visibility and snorkeling conditions and are excellent at pointing out the various fish species, coral formations, turtles, stingrays, seahorses and perhaps even a fascinating octopus.
5. Snorkel with the Sharks – Yes you read this one right! and thus it deserves its own spot on our top 25 list. One of Visit Palm Beach’s newest offerings, a snorkeling expedition with the sharks can be reserved thru Visit Palm Beach right now. Do we even need to say much more? Well there is more! And you can learn all about it all by clicking right here, along with information on additional Peanut Island snorkeling trips, and about the new full scuba diving 2 tank dives that are also now being offered!
6. Float on a Flamingo– yes, you read this one correctly too! Visit Palm Beach’s “Floatilla” Party Cruise allows you to take to the waters while floating on an inflatable Flamingo at sea! Of course you’ll also find a whole lot more to enjoy during this 3 hour catamaran party cruise to nowhere (which actually is everywhere you’ll want to be when you are in the Palm Beaches!)
7. Pedal thru Paradise – Did you know that bicycle tours are where it all began for Visit Palm Beach over 25 years ago? Well now you do! And thus VPB is thrilled to be coming back around full circle by offering bicycle rentals and fully guided bicycle tours! Of course in honor of the century in which we now live, Visit Palm Beach will also be adding electric bikes to their rental pool which will also be available for use on our guided bike tours for a slightly upgraded fee.
8. Explore on an E-Scooter – a newer and decidedly fun way to sightsee your way thru West Palm Beach and Palm Beach Island is aboard an e-Scooter. You’ll want to pick up your e-Scooter and meet your guide at the e-scooter rentals home-base, right outside the Visitor Information & Adventure Center. Visit Palm Beach is now offering guided e-Scooter Tours with an expert guide to show you all those places you don’t dare want to miss on your explorations here in the Palm Beaches.
9. Souvenir Shop till you drop – That’s right, Visit Palm Beach now offers a full selection of what will surely become some of your most prized and favorite Palm Beaches keepsake souvenirs! Not only can you swing by and pick them up at our brand new Visitor Information & Adventure Center but you will soon be able to shop for Palm Beach merchandise online, which we hope (that since this article is about great outdoor fun) will also be from places like the comfort of your beach chairs. Clothes, hats, toys, water sports equipment, artwork, home decor and beach accessories are just some of the great items you’ll find!
10. Tempt your Tastebuds Food Tour –We also know that another can’t miss experience in the City of West Palm Beach is dining at our many varied restaurants – and not just because the food is great! Food also helps tell the story of our neighborhood’s people, history, and culture. Whenever we travel, food tours top our list of favorite things to do, and these West Palm Beach Food Tours are truly one of the best ways to enjoy a true culinary experience delight here in our City.
11. Take a Step Back in Time–West Palm Beach is an ever-changing, modern city that keeps getting better all the time. But there is also a ton of interesting history here, from the days of the Tequesta Indians to Henry Flagler’s railroad. See for yourself on Visit Palm Beach’s ‘Then & Now’ guided Walking Tour of the Clematis Street District, the heart of the city since 1894.
12. Wander the West Palm Beach Waterfront – The Waterfront in West Palm Beach is undoubtedly one of the centrally located crown jewels of the City, and you’ll for sure want to allow yourself some time just to wander this sunny, 7-mile paved linear park and venture out on some of its many public docks stretching into the Lake Worth Lagoon for an unparalleled view of the waterfront and West Palm Beach’s beautiful skyline!
13. Drink & Snack at the “The Hut” – Of course if you are wandering the Waterfront you’ll want to be sure to allow time for a stop at “The Hut’ Visit Palm Beach’s ode to the original hot spot. This small, charming structure, adjacent to the City’s main Center Dock, was recreated in dedication to the original ‘The Hut,’ a popular drive-in restaurant built off Flagler Drive by Harold Hall in 1930. Currently “crewmembers” continue to check people in for the catamaran cruises, kayak & paddle board and Jet Ski rentals right next door, while also serving up refreshing drinks, shaved ice, coffee drinks, Acai bowls, charcuterie plates, wine and more! You’ll find The Hut right on the Downtown West Palm Beach Waterfront at 141 S. Flagler Drive, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
14. Bask in the Big Chair – Surely one of the best seats in our West Palm Beach home, and located adjacent to ‘The Hut’, the ‘Big Chair’ has secured its place as one of West Palm Beach iconic photo spots. Also surrounded by artistic picnic benches, painted by local artists this waterfront hang out spot offers some of the most unrivaled views of the West Palm Beach waterfront where you can sit and relax while watching the mega yachts of the Palm Beaches cruise on by.
15. Fish with the Top Fish – Saltwater or freshwater, inshore or offshore, the Palm Beaches are undoubtedly an angler’s paradise! Let Visit Palm Beach assist you in securing the best fishing guides and charters in the area so you can focus on heading out to our world famous Gulf Stream waters to chase trophies like Sailfish, Kingfish, Wahoo and Dolphin at legendary Sailfish Alley, or wrestle with Snook and Tarpon on an inshore sport-fishing excursion closer to home.
16. Enjoy some event envy! Did you know West Palm Beach is an international award winning event city! That’s why we are extra excited that the City of West Palm Beach has Revamped Fun in 2021, and after a hiatus that felt much too long for us all, the award winning West Palm Beach events are back. Whether it’s the ‘best’ weekly Saturday morning GreenMarket in Florida (running October to May), or the weekly Thursday evening free live music concert event series, “Clematis by Night” (which also just celebrated its 25th year!) or the monthly 2nd Friday of the month “Screen on the Green” free movie night under the stars, or Sunday on the Waterfront filling the afternoon air with outstanding musical sounds, you don’t want to miss attending one of these outstanding free events this City has to offer.
17. Centennial Fountain Fun – Have you seen the newly renovated Centennial Square Fountain yet? The city’s showcase fountain on our Downtown West Palm Beach Waterfront also puts on unrivaled music and light shows in the evenings and will soon be ready for the kiddos (and fun loving adults) to frolic in the fountains to stay cool.
18. Walk the Neighborhoods – Did you know the City of West Palm Beach actually has several world class shopping, dining and entertainment districts within its city limits, including Rosemary Square, Clematis Street, Antique Row, Northwood Village, the Warehouse District and more? Well now you do, and they need to be on your to-do list!
19. Catch some culture – Did you also know our City is the home of the West Palm Beach Arts & Entertainment District? Which is a centralized collection of inspiring arts and entertainment venues; art and history museums; galleries; libraries; performing arts companies; and art education institutions. This District includes more than 20 distinct and distinguished cultural destinations that form a defining industry cluster. The A&E District enhances the appeal of West Palm Beach as a visitor destination, drawing attention to its status as a vibrant city illuminated by its beauty and range of creative expression.
20. Mural Walking Tours – Downtown West Palm Beach’s murals are undoubtedly one of the most iconic elements of the WPB Arts & Entertainment district, and it continues to broaden its international reach. At this time, more than 20 murals adorn buildings, hidden alleyways and even under bridges which offer an oversized outdoor gallery of contemporary designs by international, national and local artists. To fully enjoy the Downtown West Palm Beach Murals stop in the West Palm Beach Visitor Information and Adventure Center to pick up a wonderful self-guided walking tour map or arrange for your own private mural guide (also available via electric scooters) to truly discover these artistic gems.
21. Take in some of Nature’s Nourishment – at the South Cove Natural Area where you can stroll down a 556-foot boardwalk and onto the observation deck to witness wildlife and the large, restored mangrove/saltmarsh cordgrass island. The South Cove is home to one of several restored mangrove islands within the Lake Worth Lagoon that create habitat for birds, manatees and sea turtles. Look closely at the shoreline and you’ll likely see fiddler crabs as well. Want to get even closer? Don’t forget Visit Palm Beach’s paddle rentals that will give you a front seat view to all this natural wonder right at the foot of this urban estuary.
22. Help protect our beautiful mother earth – we know without her Visit Palm Beach wouldn’t even exist. Visit Palm Beach is wholeheartedly committed to sustainability and preservation of our special tropical environment. We are also the proud past winners of the City of West Palm Beach’s Rethink Business Green Business Challenge and collaborate routinely with numerous environmental and government agencies, non-profit organizations and other concerned businesses and private citizens to help model healthy, environmentally progressive, resilient and ecologically sustainable urban living. Regularly scheduled paddle and walking clean-ups are also organized each month by Visit Palm Beach where both locals and visitors alike are always invited and encouraged to join in. Just click here to sign up for a cleanup one right now!
23. Plan a Private Party – Did you know that Visit Palm Beach loves nothing more than a great life celebration! They also have the best private event coordinators (which can be reached right now at [email protected] to assist you in planning just that! Whether it be a birthday, graduation, anniversary, engagement, wedding, bachelor or bachelorette party or company party you are sure to enjoy what will be the most memorable of private special events.
24. Stay in Paradise – With all the fabulous things to see and do here in the Palm Beaches we know you are going to want/need some extra time here! Thankfully we have some of the very best places in the country to stay, that are bound to surpass your accommodation expectations! Some of our local West Palm Beach favorites include The Hilton West Palm Beach, The Ben, The Canopy, The Hyatt Place, The Marriott, Best Western, and Casa Grandview Bed & Breakfast. For a full list of accommodation options in the area click here.
25. Stop in and see us at the sparkling brand new Visitor Information & Adventure Center! This is Visit Palm Beach’s new centrally located homebase and we are standing by with bright smiles (even though you might not be able to always see them behind the masks 😉 to help you navigate to the BEST tours and attractions in the Palm Beaches and throughout South Florida! You’ll find the brand new Visit Palm Beach Visitor Information & Adventure Center in the heart of Downtown West Palm Beach (just 2 blocks West of the West Palm Beach Waterfront and/or 2 blocks East of the Brightline station) at 226 Datura Street, West Palm Beach, FL 33401. You may also reach us by phone (561) 881-9757, or by email at [email protected]